A ground ball in lacrosse is when the ball is on the ground, and one player picks it up using their stick. The player must then run with the ball or pass it to another player. If the player with the ball is tackled, it is a turnover, and the other team gets possession of the ball.
Ground balls are an essential part of the game as they can help a team maintain possession and keep the ball away from the other team.
How to Scoop Up A Ground Ball
- Approach the ball from the side or behind so that you can see the ball and your body is in between the ball and your opponent.
- Bend your knees and get in a low stance.
- Put the head of your lacrosse stick down on the ground next to the ball, with the pocket facing up.
- Use the hand on the same side as the head of your stick to hold the shaft of your lacrosse stick close to the ground.
- Use your other hand to hold the shaft of your lacrosse stick close to the ground.
- Roll your top hand over the head of your lacrosse stick so that the pocket is now facing down.
- Scoop up the ball with the pocket of your lacrosse stick. Stand up, cradle the ball in the pocket of your lacrosse stick and continue running with the ball.
As you can see, several steps are involved in picking up a ground ball with a lacrosse stick. It is important to remember to
Players must be careful not to scoop up the ball with the head of their stick too high off the ground, or they will be called for a penalty.
What to Do with A Ground Ball Once You Have It?
Now that you have the ball, it’s time to do something with it! Here are some things you can do:
- Run with it! You can move up the field with the ball in your stick, looking to pass or shoot.
- Dribble the ball. This is like running with the ball, but you bounce it on the ground as you go. This can help you move around defenders.
- Pass the ball. You can pass the ball to a teammate to help them move up the field.
- Shoot the ball. Take a shot at the goal if you’re in a good position!
There are many other things you can do with the ball, but these are some basics. Just remember to have fun and be creative!
The Benefits of Mastering the Ground Ball?
There are many benefits to mastering the ground ball, including the following:
- Improved ball control
- Increased speed
- Better passing accuracy
- Improved shooting accuracy
- More extraordinary ability to make plays in traffic
In general, improving your skills with the ground ball will make you a more well-rounded and effective lacrosse player. So, get out there and start practising!
Why Ground Ball in Lacrosse
Ground balls are essential in lacrosse because they allow one to score and keep possession of the ball. They also can be used as a defensive strategy to prevent the other team from scoring.
When practised, ground balls can help improve your game and give you an edge in the competition. How do you practice your ground balls?